Back to Contents
Back to Railways Page
Link to Sitemap


BR 19

19 017

This model of the Sachsenstolz was built from the Model Loco kit. I saved up the money from my first job after graduation to buy the kit, supplemented it with a few Weinert parts and set to with a tube of superglue. Despite it's age and the quality of the build it still looks good and is remarkably solid, even after the best part of ten years! In many ways the Model Loco kit surpasses the more recent Gützold editions. Though it does of course have to be built and a large 2-8-2 is never going to be all that easy.

Front 3/4 view of BR19 model Rear 3/4 view of BR19 model
Like all the Saxon locos it has a certain elegance of line and the kit captures the form of the prototype nicely. Etched plates (but unfortunately no decals) are provided for DRG and DR locos including the famous 19 017; the prototype of which is now preserved by the Dresden Transport Museum.

High close up view of the valvegear and compensation fitted to the BR19 model Overview of the chassis of the BR19 model
The kit was not built completely according to the instructions - as well you might expect. An early trial run of the loco made me realise that the long rigid wheelbase was going to be a pain to keep on the track. So compensation was fitted in much the same way as I had done it on my earlier, British stock. The rear axle is the driven one, and with the narrow frames that had to be kept rigid. The coupling rods were jointed, the wheels dissambled and the axle bearings were assembled into the chassis using a set of London Road Models turned axle jigs. The front two axles have a simple beam across them, and the third axle is sprung with a phosphor-bronze strip.

Close up view of the front of the chassis of the BR19; cylinders, valvegear, Kadee coupler Right hand motion set, showing additional pick-up fitted to BR19 model
With large wheels, bar frames and a relatively narrow, high-pitched boiler the absence of the inside motion was going to be obvious. So an extra set of Weinert valve-guides were purchased and the links and rocker arms assembled to portray the valve gear for the middle two cylinders. It's somewhat simplified and very much rigid. Also shown in this pic is a recent modification. On the 'insulated' side of the chassis I've fitted a wiper pickup to the top of the first two drivers. This is simply a length of 0.3mm half-hard brass wire run through a short length of insulation stripped from some fine wire. This small assembly is then superglued into a 0.75mm dia. hole drilled in the motion bracket. This means that the loco now picks up from 6 wheels on each rail.

Rear of the chassis of the BR19, showing motor, gearbox, DCC decoder
The motor and gearbox supplied are superb. I really like the Model Loco gearboxes and have used them as a preference in some of my other home-built models. But, in this loco the Mashima 1626 and 44:1 ratio was far from ideal, particularly at low speed. So I experimented; first with a Faulhaber 1624. This was somewhat inconclusive so it came back out again. Which is why I happened to have it in stock for my ÖBB 2067... I then used a Mashima 1430. This is a very smooth, slow running and powerful motor; which improved the performance immeasurably. The final piece in the puzzle came shortly afterwards when I realised that substituting finer pitch worm and wheel in the top of the box would get me very close to 60:1. The loco's performance is now amazing; powerful and smooth throughout the speedrange and with a realistic top speed.

The DCC installation uses a Zimo MX62 'N-gauge' decoder. I was going to fit a Lenz 'Gold' or Zimo MX64 in the tender; either with on-board power. But despite the assembly being with superglue there was no way I was going to be able to get the tender body to seperate from the chassis without breaking it. So in the loco it had to go; which meant a small decoder and fitting extra contact wipers, as noted above, to overcome any pickup problems. The loco uses the 'American' style pickup (loco on one rail, tender the other) so I did have my concerns.

Tender of BR19 model
While on the subject of the electrical connections in the loco you'll probably have already noted the use of popper studs to connect the loco and tender, and the chassis to the decoder. They work very well and it's an idea I seem to have forgotten; cheap and reliable micro-connectors are now available off the shelf. All moving joints, such as the conpensation beam to the chassis or the front tender bogie to the frame have been electrically reinforced with lengths of 5Amp fusewire soldered to each assembly; a long loop in the middle makes allowance for the movement.

The loco is now ready for the road; run in and with DCC decoder installed. But recently finding a few pictures of 19 017 in service with the Halle test centre before preservation means that the story may not be finished quite yet...

Origin or real life as it exists / who does what:
This page last updated 10/10/2007. Copyright Euram Solutions and Steph Dale 2006. All Rights Reserved.
Steph Dale can be contacted through the contacts page